Monday, October 20, 2008

She Unnames Them

1. God and the Universe- "You and your father lent me this- gave it to me, actually. It's been really useful, but it doesn't seem to fit very well lately". It acknowledges a God but disregards any creation and that there is any need for him but that she actually has a better plan. She has the right and control to unname them.

2. Humanity and Identity-“Among the domestic animals, few horses had cared what anybody called them…”. To them their name was not important their names could be given to anyone especially to people they belonged to. They had their own identity.

3. Conflict and Suffering- "One of my reasons for doing what I did was that talk was getting us nowhere; but all the same I felt a little let down”. Eve was sick of being ignored and that no one was listening or cared about what she thought.

4. Hope and Redemption- “At last I said, ‘Well, goodbye, dear. I hope the garden key turns up.” Even though Eve wanted to make her own decision and control the universe she is hoping she could go back to the Garden of Eden and live the perfect life.

5. Values and Relationships- “…and said without looking around, “OK, fine dear. When’s dinner?” Adam show no value in his relationship when Eve says goodbye he just fine but asks what’s for dinner? This does not show any hope for a future when he does not value her or their relationship.

6. Truth and Knowledge- “I could not chatter away as I used to do, taking it all for granted”. Finally Eve has to acknowledge the decisions she made and live with them and not just take life for granted. She needed to acknowledge she could not be God.

I believe She Unnames Them is a post modern worldview.

No comments: